GELCIDE - locally-delivered antibiotic for Periodontal Pockets Treatment
Gelcide consists of a patented solution of piperacillin and tazobactam paired with a carrier that effectively dispenses the potent active formula right to the bottom of the dental pocket or the wound. The local-delivery application minimizes some of the problems of systemic antibiotics, such as side effects and increased bacterial resistance.
Because it is applied directly as a liquid to the affected area, Gelcide is particularly suitable for preventing damage to the surrounding bone. Its unique formula allows it to rapidly penetrate into the pocket and subsequently gelify inside, while, on the surface, it creates a strong external film that virtually seals the wound. These capabilities allow for easy application while ensuring that the active ingredients are retained at the infection site.
Current SRP treatments are rendered less effective because of poor patient compliance. They place the burden of treatment on patients themselves, expecting them to self-administer antibiotics up three times a day off site. Gelcide allows the practitioner full control of the treatment process, and as a result increases the certainty of treatment outcomes.
Gelcide’s exclusive formula is slowly released at effective concentrations for up to 8–10 days. The film is permeable but insoluble to fluids – protecting the pocket from further oral-bacteria exposure, subsequent irritation and infection.
This patented solution offers you an effective way of complementing standard SRP treatment. It will improve success rates, help prevent early body reabsorption and potential displacements – resulting in increased therapy compliance and more satisfied patients.
Ease of Application:
- Fluid mix that penetrates deep into the dental pocket.
- Once applied, Gelcide ‘seals’ the pocket, solidifying as a gel after contact with fluids, thereby remaining in the pocket and acting as a film when making contact with air at the gingival level.
- No need for additional injection devices: all elements are included.
- No need to worry about patient compliance: all work can be carried out on site.
Improved Effectiveness over Time:
- Highly effective against a broad range of gram+ and gram- bacteria through antibiotic activity of piperacillin.
- Beta lactamase-induced bacterial resistance is prevented through coadministration of tazobactam.
- Biodegradable and anti-microbial active for 8-10 days.
- Once opened, remains active for 4 weeks.
- No side effects due to 100-fold higher levels of concentration of active agent in subgingival site compared to systemic therapy.
- Slow-release mechanism and complete on-site treatment eliminate need for patients to follow up treatment off site.
- Unique film means patients do not need to adapt eating or drinking habits throughout duration of treatment.
Treatment and Practice Benefits:
- Increased treatment compliance as doctor has higher control of the therapy.
- Dentist builds trust and loyalty by offering most up-do-date treatments that mean far less intrusion in patient’s day-to-day life.
- Incremental revenue with low incremental workload.