Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape
Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape is a pre-cut collagen membrane designed for the treatment of extraction sockets. The new membrane is based on the Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio technology: enhanced stiffness lengthens the time available for exact positioning; this is a big plus for your application comfort.
- Convenient: New shape specifically for ridge preservation
- Easy handling and application comfort: Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio technology for enhanced stiffness
- Ready-to-use: Reduces preparation time
- Significantly more bone formation when Geistlich Bio-Gide® is used to protect the Geistlich Bio-Oss® in a defective extraction socket
Ridge Preservation: A predictable solution
With Geistlich Biomaterials considerably more ridge volume is preserved at 4 month after tooth extraction.
- Around 50% of the alveolar volume is lost over 6 months (horizontal 29-63%, vertical 11-22%).
- Without supportive bone, the buccal and labial soft tissue in the socket collapses. The natural formation of new bone in the socket cannot compensate for the loss of alveolar volume.
Ridge Preservation with Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen and Geistlich Bio-Gide®
- Avoids further bone augmentation at implant placement in more than 90% of cases.
- Achieves a ridge contour that allows an easier insertion of implants or serves as a sufficient basis for bridge restoration.
Spontaneous healing: without supportive bone, the buccal and labial soft tissue in the socket collapses.
Ridge Preservation with Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen and Geistlich Bio-Gide®.
Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape should always be used with a bone graft substitute, such as Geistlich Bio-Oss® or Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen. Application of Geistlich Bio-Gide®Shape membrane is easy:
- The tooth is extracted and the usual surgical procedures (curettage, de-epithelization etc.) are undertaken.
- The long strap of the Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape should be placed to cover the bony defect of the socket, if present. Thereby the dense surface should face towards the soft tissue, and the rough side should face the defect.
- Place the membrane without pre-wetting within the extraction socket.
- The defect is filled with a bone grafting material, such as autologous bone or bone substitute (e.g. Geistlich Bio-Oss® / Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen).
- To close the extraction socket, both lateral wings of the Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape membrane should be tucked underneath the mucosa, located mesially and distally of the socket.
- The upper wing should be tucked lingually / pallatinally in-between the soft tissue and bone wall.
- Fixation of the membrane (e.g. mattress suture) on top may be indicated to avoid its displacement due to shear loading or mobilization.
The general principles of sterile handling and patient medication must be followed when using Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape.
Atraumatic extraction of tooth 22 with the Benex® Extraction Kit.
Inspection of the extraction socket with periodontal probe shows a buccal bony defect.
The native bilayer collagen membrane* is placed buccally on the inner alveolar wall, slightly protruding the crestal bone.
Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen fills the socket up to the soft tissue level. It might be advantageous to cut up the Geistlich Bio-Oss® Collagen and to insert it hydrated piece-by-piece.
The socket is closed with the native bilayer collagen membrane*. The augmented site is stabilized tension-free by cross suturing.
Clinical situation 3 months after tooth extraction.
Restoration with a resin-bonded fixed dental prosthesis 3 months after tooth extraction.
*In this case, a Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio (16x22mm) was cut into the form of Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape.
The membrane is available in one size:
- Geistlich Bio-Gide® Shape, 1 membrane, pre-shaped, 14 x 24 mm